httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Dumpleton" <graham.dumple...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OS/X + Cisco VPN == trouble
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 01:25:56 GMT
On 24/08/07, Ian Holsman <lists@holsman.net> wrote:
> Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> > On 24/08/07, Ian Holsman <lists@holsman.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> This one is frustrating me to no end, and was wondering if some BSD/OSX
> >> guru can help  me out a bit.
> >>
> >> I'm using the trunk, and trying to start apache, but I keep getting a
> >> lock/sem problem
> >>
> >> [Fri Aug 24 10:51:53 2007] [emerg] (28)No space left on device: Couldn't
> >> create accept lock
> >>
> >> this only happens if I have run the VPN. when I reboot it works great
> >> (until I check into the VPN).
> >>
> >> from what I can see this error is usually caused by running out of
> >> sempahores, but ipcs doesn't show any.
> >> and to make matters worse, it only started happening about 2 weeks ago.
> >>

> > As a workaround while you resolve why you are running out of mutexes
> > and/or how to increase the number, use AcceptMutex directive to have
> > it use a different mutex mechanism.
> >
> >   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#acceptmutex
> >
> > This question was perhaps more appropriate for user list and not
> > developers list.
> >
> > Graham
> >

> Thanks Graham,
>
> I'll remember the users list in the future. as I was using the trunk, I
> thought it might have been a recent patch to apr/httpd which has caused
> it, thats all.
>
> BTW.. the acceptmutex works for stock apache, but not for mod_python
> which doesn't have the ability to change the mutex mechanism it uses.

For mod_python problem see:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-202

Suggested quick think right at end.

If only using mod_python to host Python WSGI applications and not
using mod_python specific features at all, consider using mod_wsgi
instead. The mod_wsgi module will work as it is the global mutexes
that mod_python creates for session management that cause the problem
and mod_wsgi doesn't have such high level features, only supporting
basic WSGI interface.

Graham