httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: And 2.2.6 Re: Notice of Intent: T&R 2.0.61
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:37:24 GMT
Hi,
> The fact that the apr_proc* API is so horribly convoluted yet still
> broken on Win32 is kind of ironic.  If it's not fixable can we just
> abandon it?  The code to implement piped loggers can be much simpler and
> more efficient on Unix if implemented natively.

may I ask a question on this topic:
why is piped logging so important, and why dont we add f.e. mod_log_rotate which does the
job of rotating logs more nicerly on every platform? That would avoid 95% usage of piped logging:
http://www.hexten.net/wiki/index.php/Mod-log-rotate

sure, maybe there are other implementations like mysqllog or pgsqllog, and such which use
piped logging; however I've tried already a lot, and none of all these 'solutions' work really
reliable...

Guen.