httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: authnz_ldap in 2.2.x
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:16:02 GMT
<1404e5910708301536p32bbb344u4d1e573cf45028ce@mail.gmail.com>, "Eric Covener"
<covener@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <1404e5910708291851x5840a4cemd81caaedb41d18d5@mail.gmail.com>, "Eric Covener"
>> <covener@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > In 2.2.x If authz_XXX are one of dbm, owner, or groupfile they track
>> > the list of requires and decline if they don't see any they're
>> > responsible for -- this isn't a crap shoot of module ordering in this
>> > case.
>> >
>> > $ grep \!required *.c
>> > mod_authz_dbm.c:    if (!required_group || !conf->authoritative) {
>> > mod_authz_groupfile.c:    if (!required_group || !conf->authoritative) {
>> > mod_authz_owner.c:    if (!required_owner || !conf->authoritative) {
>> > mod_authz_user.c:    if (!required_user) {
>> >
>> > That roughly leaves authz_host, authz_default, and authnz_ldap.
>> > authz_host has a built-in default based on Order, and authz_default
>> > doesn't have any Requires to check -- leaving authnz_ldap as the odd
>> > man out.
>> >

>> True, so that brings up the question of what does AuthzXXXAuthoritative
> really mean?  Does it mean that if set to ON, this module is authoritatively
> responsible for authorization and if it can't (whatever the reason including
> no require statement), then authorization fails?  Or does it mean that the
> module is only authoritatively responsible for authorization if a matching
> require statement exists?  According to what you are saying as well as what
> the code is currently saying in the other authz modules, the latter is true.
> And if that is really the definition of AuthzXXXAuthoritative, then it
> appears that authnz_ldap needs to be fixed.
>>
>> Brad
>>

> For the ones in the list above it seems to roughly be:
>
> if an authz_XXX require is satisfied, return OK
> If authz_XXX is authoritative, and any authz_XXX require directives
> were present, return HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED
> else return DECLINED
>
> Any clue from a development process POV how I'd propose such a thing
> for "backport" since it doesn't apply to trunk?  I was also hoping
> some more people might weigh in on the behavior change for
> mod_authnz_ldap in a stable release.

Welcome to the world of ldap development in Apache, outside of a very small group of us, there
usually isn't much response from anyone else. :(  I would suggest that you write a patch and
either post the patch file in your people.apache.org user dir so that it is easily accessible
from the web or attach it to a bugzilla bug that can be referenced.  Then write your backport
proposal in the 2.2 STATUS file and reference the patch file directly rather than a link into
SVN.  Also note that this is specific to 2.2 and does not apply to trunk due to the authorization
refactoring going forward.

Brad