httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: OS/X + Cisco VPN == trouble
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 01:15:55 GMT
Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> On 24/08/07, Ian Holsman <lists@holsman.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> This one is frustrating me to no end, and was wondering if some BSD/OSX
>> guru can help  me out a bit.
>>
>> I'm using the trunk, and trying to start apache, but I keep getting a
>> lock/sem problem
>>
>> [Fri Aug 24 10:51:53 2007] [emerg] (28)No space left on device: Couldn't
>> create accept lock
>>
>> this only happens if I have run the VPN. when I reboot it works great
>> (until I check into the VPN).
>>
>> from what I can see this error is usually caused by running out of
>> sempahores, but ipcs doesn't show any.
>> and to make matters worse, it only started happening about 2 weeks ago.
>>

> As a workaround while you resolve why you are running out of mutexes
> and/or how to increase the number, use AcceptMutex directive to have
> it use a different mutex mechanism.
>
>   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#acceptmutex
>
> This question was perhaps more appropriate for user list and not
> developers list.
>
> Graham

Thanks Graham,

I'll remember the users list in the future. as I was using the trunk, I
thought it might have been a recent patch to apr/httpd which has caused
it, thats all.

BTW.. the acceptmutex works for stock apache, but not for mod_python
which doesn't have the ability to change the mutex mechanism it uses.