httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r568779 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/main.c
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:01:05 GMT

On 08/23/2007 09:29 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>> On 08/23/2007 02:10 AM, wrowe@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: wrowe
>>> Date: Wed Aug 22 17:10:35 2007
>>> New Revision: 568779

>>> Log:
>>> main core: Emit errors during the initial apr_app_initialize()
>>> or apr_pool_create() (when apr-based error reporting is not ready).
>> In general this looks correct, but could you please give me a pointer
>> what exactly fails with ap_log_error?
>> Why is it safe to use apr_ctime() and apr_time_now() in this case?
>> It would help me to better understand the problem and the reasoning.
>
> Presume apr is not initialized; it refuses to create our process->pool,
> or (in 2.0) the global NULL pool.

Ok, got it. But if we would call ap_log_error immediately after we detect a non
APR_SUCCESS value of apr_app_initialize ap_log_error should work, correct?
Of course it can only work if it does not use pools (it seems to be the case
for me).
But I admit that this is harder to audit and is more likely to change at some
point of time to the usage of a pool.
So you will get my votes (currently there seems to be svn issue where the
pre-commit hook always fails).

Regards

RĂ¼diger