httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Content-Encoding and Filters
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:10:10 GMT
On Aug 6, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> PRs 23287 and 42993, and recent discussion here, show up some
> issues with handling Content-Encoding.  Specifically regarding
> mod_deflate, but also relevant to any other filters that
> affect or are affected by Content-Encoding.

I'll just reiterate that the problem is messing with content-encoding
in the first place.  The filter should primarily be working with
transfer-encoding.  It is absurd for a run-time server to dynamically
encode or decode attributes of the representation.  Content-encoding
should only be messed with by content-generators, specifically to
provide a dynamic mapping of non-encoded variants for gzipped files
to a *different* URIs than the one that is defined to be
content-encoded, and a third (base) URI for negotiation.

....Roy