httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: Apachelounge problems
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:57:40 GMT
On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 01:15:21PM -0400, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> > It's called "dist", clearly they are for any level distribution anyone
> > feels like. Unless you want us to re-license!
>
> But the "dist" should be limited to people who are on/pay attention to
> this mailing list [1].

This is simply at odds with the license :-)

> Anything else increases the personal liability of anyone involved in
> putting that tarball up on the website for download.

That's a side effect, yes. It's never stopped me, but that window
of liability does exist in our procedures. There all sorts of other
holes in that "shield" too anyway :/

> If putting files into dev/dist conveys the implication that you intend
> for people to be *redistributing* those artifacts, then I think it is
> a mistake,

It's not about implications, it's about the simple fact that the very
license contained in those very files grants everyone an irrevocable
right to distribute it.

> and you'd be better off using people.apache.org/~foo for putting up
> candidates to test.  That doesn't stop people from redistributing
> candidates, but it doesn't conflate the fact that the ASF/this PMC has
> done nothing to endorse them.

it also makes them slightly harder to scrape :-)