httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Goodbye
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:06:49 GMT
Steffen wrote:

> There is a lot changing in the open-source world.  I've seen  a similar
> discussion with MySQL, although not as painful as the  issues we have now.
> It seems that MySQL is now releasing "Enterprise"  versions frequently and
> "Community" versions infrequently.

This is comparing apples and oranges. The ASF does not have
such distinctions in releases. It's either released, to one and
all, or not. There are no Enterprise or Community versions.

> I guess the Apache Foundation is now also starting to act more corporate and
> less community-oriented.  Sad, but we live in a changing world and this
> legalistic-corporate-nasty trend is likely to continue for a while.

Nonesense (imo). And even if true, the ASF (the corporation)
exists to be that "legalistic-corporate" entity, so that the
projects and PMCs can be 100% community. The 2 issues that
seemed to cause this were (1) mis-use of the Apache feather,
which is "legalistic-corporate" admittedly and (2) the availability
of a non-released tarball with (afaict) no clear distinction that
the tarball was, in fact, not an official Apache release tarball,
which is admittedly community based (we want to protect users from
thinking they are using an official Apache release when they
are not).