httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r563147 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/mpm/experimental/event/fdqueue.c
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 23:55:25 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 08/06/2007 04:20 PM, jim@apache.org wrote:
> > Author: jim
> > Date: Mon Aug  6 07:20:24 2007
> > New Revision: 563147

> > Log:
> > These atomics expect apr_uint32_t *... The expectation, of course,
> > is that the add/inc still works "as expected" even though we
> > are using signed values.
>
> Hm. I have a bad feeling here. These atomics are platform specific and seemed
> to be designed for unsigned ints. Are we really sure that they can handle signed ints
> as well? Comments from an atomics guru from APR?

As mentioned in the log, the patch isn't designed to "fix" the
fact that we're using a signed 32 bit int with a function (assembly
no less!) that expects unsigned. Rather it's to remove a compiler
error which complains about it. Ideally, we should craft a different
method than idler going negative to reflect the state change, and I
have an idea about that.