httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Content-Encoding and Filters
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:37:50 GMT
On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:10:10 -0700
"Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Nick Kew wrote:
>
> > PRs 23287 and 42993, and recent discussion here, show up some
> > issues with handling Content-Encoding.  Specifically regarding
> > mod_deflate, but also relevant to any other filters that
> > affect or are affected by Content-Encoding.
>
> I'll just reiterate that the problem is messing with content-encoding
> in the first place.

Well, the popularity of first mod_gzip and now mod_deflate indicates
a clear demand for it.  And it *should* work cleanly in our
filter architecture.

>	  The filter should primarily be working with
> transfer-encoding.

Transfer-encoding is an altogether different filter.
I don't see the relevance.

>	  It is absurd for a run-time server to dynamically
> encode or decode attributes of the representation.

Why?  A lot of people want compressed data.

>	  Content-encoding
> should only be messed with by content-generators, specifically to
> provide a dynamic mapping of non-encoded variants for gzipped files
> to a *different* URIs than the one that is defined to be
> content-encoded, and a third (base) URI for negotiation.

which would seem to preclude dynamic or proxied contents.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/