httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Henrik Nordstrom <hen...@henriknordstrom.net>
Subject Re: mod_gzip and incorrect ETag response (Bug #39727)
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:04:11 GMT
On mån, 2007-08-27 at 13:09 -0400, Akins, Brian wrote:
> On 8/27/07 12:34 PM, "TOKILEY@aol.com" <TOKILEY@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Hasn't the non-compressed variant become an extreme edge-case
> > by now? I would certainly hope so.
> >

> Unfortunately not.  About 30% of our requests do not advertise gzip
> support..

And MSIE deserves a special mention here.. if MSIE is using a proxy and
NOT configured to "Use HTTP/1.1 via proxies" then it will not advertise
gzip support, and what is worse it will not at all understand a gzip:ed
response should one be given to it.. seen at least in MSIE6, have not
tested 7.

Regards
Henrik