httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_auth_ntlm_winbind needs hosting
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:11:26 GMT
Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> Yet and still, there is the minor issue that NTLM violates RFC2616,
>> and as
>> such you might find resistance here :)
>>

> OTOH, such a module allows to choose a Linux/UNIX server for web or
> proxy, even in "strong" Windows environment (where users must be
> authenticated against a Windows Domain Controller). In other words, to
> choose some open-sourse solution even in such an environment.

I don't disagree :)  But as a reference implementation, we hold to the
standards over misbehavior whenever possible, until someone deliberately
breaks the configuration/behavior with respect to the standards.

On that note - I suppose this would not be enabled by default, so I have
a little less concern.  One advantage is that we could do the right thing
with respect to proxy agents in front or behind us, when the module is
enabled.  Having both the proxy and an implementation of NTLM might be
a win, from that perspective.

Bill