httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Async write completion for 2.2.x?
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 03:36:17 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> Well, that's the big reason I proposed this... I fear that
>> the async stuff will not be worked on/polished unless there
>> is some indication that it'll be in a released version
>> of Apache. My proposing a backport I'm hoping to generate
>> interest in that, so we can either *really* backport it
>> to 2.2 or "encourage" a pre-amsterdam 2.4 release.
>
> It's not feasible, I'm afraid.  Any async behavior outside of the
> request cycle broke protocol handling, but that's OK - we did this
> with the rollout of 2.2.  Any async behavior within the request
> cycle will break a *whole* lot more 3rd party modules, and we can
> really only do that with 2.4.

Actually, I think the async write behavior could be fine for most
mainline cases, certainly for the HTTP protocol module, which is in the
core, we could make a runtime choice, something like
ap_protocol_async_write_enable(conn_rec* c)....  For Protocol modules
like say FTP, we wouldn't be breaking anything, and they would see their
existing behaviors.

-Paul