httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Async write completion for 2.2.x?
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:42:56 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Well, that's the big reason I proposed this... I fear that
> the async stuff will not be worked on/polished unless there
> is some indication that it'll be in a released version
> of Apache. My proposing a backport I'm hoping to generate
> interest in that, so we can either *really* backport it
> to 2.2 or "encourage" a pre-amsterdam 2.4 release.

It's not feasible, I'm afraid.  Any async behavior outside of the
request cycle broke protocol handling, but that's OK - we did this
with the rollout of 2.2.  Any async behavior within the request
cycle will break a *whole* lot more 3rd party modules, and we can
really only do that with 2.4.

Which is to say we could roll out an alpha of 2.4 tomorrow if folks
thought it's worthwhile just yet.

Bill