httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Async write completion for 2.2.x?
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:41:27 GMT

On Jul 5, 2007, at 9:20 PM, Paul Querna wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> Any interest in seeing if the Async write completion code in
>> trunk would be suitable for backporting to 2.2?
>
> The biggest problem is that async write completion in trunk got
> tied up
> in doing async reads, and some of those patches got reverted because
> they broke too much stuff.... Brian Panee was the one spearheading
> this
> in trunk, an I don't know where it was really left off.
>
> TBH, I'm not sure the async write stuff even works perfectly in trunk,
> so I am hesisant to backport it to 2.2, when I know the event MPM
> works
> pretty well for its limmited use cases there (just KeepAlive).
>
> My preference would be to get a workable solution for async reads and
> write in turnk, and then look at backporting that as a whole. (or
> releasing 2.4.x with it)

Well, that's the big reason I proposed this... I fear that
the async stuff will not be worked on/polished unless there
is some indication that it'll be in a released version
of Apache. My proposing a backport I'm hoping to generate
interest in that, so we can either *really* backport it
to 2.2 or "encourage" a pre-amsterdam 2.4 release.