httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Broken APXS
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:25:11 GMT
On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 09:18:49AM -0400, Eric Covener wrote:
> On 7/22/07, Mike <dykciarz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Greetings.
> >
> >apxs accepts only *.c files as its input. For other extensions it
> >doesn't invoke libtool in compile mode and several different issues
> >leading to empty Apache module creation. The most probably reason is
> >poor regex design.
>
> This kind of invocation: $ apxs -cia mod_cpp.cpp other.C
>
> Seems to behave better w/ the patch below:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~covener/apxs-cpp.diff

It's not portable to assume that $CC can compile anything other than C.
Doing this properly means having configure detect a C++ compiler,
getting CXX/CXXFLAGS passed through to apxs, mapping extensions to the
correct compiler, maybe passing the libtool --tag option too where
appropriate.

I'm not sure it's worth the complexity; it's already possible to pass
.o/.lo to apxs (right?) so third-party modules can deal with the
compilation step of non-C code.

joe