httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Haumesser ...@awry.ws>
Subject mod_mbox attachment handling
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:15:25 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to help a client improve its list archives.  They've been using
mailman with pipermail for many years, and pipermail is problematic in many
ways.

We like the look and feel of mod_mbox, and would like to deploy it.  However,
it doesn't seem to handle common attachments correctly (as of svn rev
556672).

Here's an example from an apache list (check the jpeg attachment):

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-axis-user/200704.mbox/%3C460FD722.7050303@wso2.com%3E

In my testing, I've had similar results with jpg, png, gif, and pdf files.
mod_mbox seems to recognize the mime parts/types, but doesn't actually serve
up the attachment properly.  Text/plain and text/html seem to be ok.

The only relevant info I've found in Googling is the following from a couple
of summers ago - http://blog.bulix.org/index.php/blog/494:

---
mod_mbox has now a brand new and complete MIME parser. The attachment
downloading is still to be implemented, but it's really no big deal
considering the data structures generated by the mbox_mime_decode_multipart()
function.
---

Is the above still an accurate statement of attachment handling status in
mod_mbox?  If so, does anyone know what it would take to add this
functionality?  Anyone interested in helping us for a modest bounty?

If adding the needed attachment handling is impractical, does anyone have
alternative list archival solutions (aside from the usual suspects -
pipermail, mhonarc, lurker).

Thanks,

-C-