httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <>
Subject Re: Apache Service Control
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2007 19:36:23 GMT
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:21:08 +0200
Q Beukes <> wrote:

> Why is it controlled with signals?

That is customary for daemons.  It works.

> To restart the process you need to send a HUP signal. This works fine,
> but what if you want to stop the server for a moment and then start it
> again, perhaps doing something in the mean while. This cannot be
> automated unless you watch the process/PID in some way.

You could send it SIGKILL and take the consequences.  Not that I'd
recommend that!  There are various techniques you can use for
scripting a shutdown: for example, polling it.

> This is fine for most purposes, but what if you want to stop what
> you're doing in case the shutdown fails. If the "httpd" binary would
> return a non-negative exit code

Return a code to whom?

> These are just some issues people have. Some people feel it's a bad
> design.

>	 Some people (like me) are not so sure what the idea behind it
> is.

To give the workers time to finish serving current requests rather
than aborting them.

We're open to patches if you have a better design.

Nick Kew