httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: mod_atom
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:33:56 GMT
Tim Bray wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2007, at 12:44 AM, Paul Querna wrote:
>
>> As it is currently written, I don't think it makes too much sense to put
>> it into httpd -- but if we could work on abstracting down a core, and a
>> set of separate hooks for storage + maybe a way to easily build end user
>> display, I think it would be a very cool thing to include.
>
> We'll have to think about that.  The whole point of APP is so dumb
> clients like cellphones and blog-authoring packages can push bits at a
> server and leave the server in control of where things go.  I'm trying
> to imagine what the storage hooks might look like.  As for end-user
> display, I doubt it; there are all sorts of excellent blogging &
> publishing engines out there that take care of that for you and httpd
> doesn't need to compete with.  APP & mod_atom are narrowly focused at
> the problem of resource CRUD.
If I am understand Paul correctly,

what Paul is meaning on the storage side is so  I can add a module to say:

"I want these things stored on a file system"
or add a different one
"I want these in a database"
and possibly have a 3rd party developer decide.
"This is really cool. I want the data to reside in Bigtable"

this decision would be hidden from the user. just as it is hidden from
the user in the SVN client at the moment.

Regards
Ian