httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <>
Subject Re: Inclusion of mpm-itk into HEAD
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:39:51 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 6/25/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <> wrote:
>> That said, have you considered a design where there are separate pools
>> of processes per-user, and these would be dispatched after the headers
>> are processed to the appropriate child?
> The simplest option is to simply reuse the features that already exist
> to get that effect:
> It's never going to be as fast as perchild, since it uses
> "inefficient" http for the dispatching. But it will beat the pants off
> of an mpm that serves only one connection per process at the expense
> of slightly more memory.
> It would be nice if that could be accomplished with a single instance
> of httpd and a single config file. Implementing that would probably be
> simpler than solving the perchild problems.

+1, I also believe that an automated proxy + child running as that user
is the best way to go.  It would be a complete code-reuse for all of the
proxying, and avoid the issues found with most other approaches.

The hardest part, is making it easy to configure.  I imagine the best
way is to introduce a new VirtualHost block replacement, which the
module would internally rewrite to a basic vhost block with a proxypass
for the master, and a separate vhost block for the child, running as the
 specified user.

View raw message