httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Piped loggers and APR_SHELLCMD_ENV
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 09:58:43 GMT
On 5/23/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> While I'm working on a solution to permit cmd.exe to be launched from
> a service process within Win32, I'm still struck by the inefficiency
> here and feel we need to resolve the core issue.

Regarding the inefficiency, it doesn't seem to be a big deal.  It
takes a trivial amount longer to start up the piped logger, and a
process hangs around consuming a trivial amount of resources.

I think it is more an issue of neatness -- does somebody want to see
that process hanging around.

Apparently it is a good APR testcase as well ;)

> So I brought up to the list 'fixing' this with an additional meta
> character to follow | that would distinguish sh from non-sh invocations,
> and permit both.  Since we really need to fix this in 2.2 / 2.0 and want
> to do so harming as few users as possible (it would be clearly called
> out in CHANGES, but none the less) please vote between one of these
> two possible solutions that could be applied to 2.0 and 2.2 branches...
>
>  [ ] Revert to "|foo" to invoke foo, and
>      add "|$foo" syntax to launch foo via sh
>
>  [ ] Retain "|foo" to invoke foo through sh, and
>      add "||foo" syntax to directly launch foo

Just to be weird:

|$foo syntax launches foo via sh
||foo syntax launches foo directly

|foo tries to make the right decision:

Windows:
APR is busted, so launch foo directly

Other platforms:

starts with slash and contains no redirection?
  launches foo directly
else
  launches foo via sh

This is expected to do the right thing for just about everybody --
almost no regression, with neatness improvement (Unix users not
needing to see the extra /bin/sh hanging around) or functional
improvement (Windows users avoiding APR problem) for most folks.

Drawback: Some people may not be ready to understand the resulting doc.