httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <san...@temme.net>
Subject Re: [vote] Piped loggers and APR_SHELLCMD_ENV
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 08:04:34 GMT

On May 23, 2007, at 4:39 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>  [ ] Revert to "|foo" to invoke foo, and
>      add "|$foo" syntax to launch foo via sh

I like this one the best, since it consumes fewest resources in the
default case.

>  [ ] Retain "|foo" to invoke foo through sh, and
>      add "||foo" syntax to directly launch foo
>
> These were the best solutions I could come up with, others are
> welcome.

However, the indirection through the shell is now the default case
and has been for quite a while... I figure dropping it now might
violate the principle of least astonishment.

I prefer the first one, but given the circumstances see myself
tending towards the second alternative.

S.