httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <>
Subject Re: CHANGES file for 1.3 and 2.x
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 06:21:54 GMT
On 5/7/07, Jim Jagielski <> wrote:
> Seems to me that the more we work on the various 2.x trees
> (2.0.x, 2.2.x and trunk), the harder it becomes to get
> the various correct CHANGES entries in sync... For example,
> the CHANGES for 2.2 and trunk just refer to changes up
> to 2.0.56... What's the best way of syncing these? Should
> we stop having a single CHANGES that tries to merge all
> development together? Why not have something like:
>    o Apache 1.3.x: CHANGES stay as is
>    o Apache 2.0.x: CHANGES just incorporates 2.0.x work
>                    and we can either URL refer to older changes
>                    at the bottom of the file or, when we release,
>                    merge them.
>    o Apache 2.2.x: CHANGES just notes 2.2.x work and we
>                    either refer to 2.0.x CHANGES and 1.3.x CHANGES
>                    or auto-merge when we release.
>    o ....:         Same pattern...
> Comments? Ideas?

+1 for having the CHANGES file be local to the branch and stop trying
to keep them in sync.

For example, what I'd say is that when we have something in trunk and
it gets merged to the current stable release, it just gets removed
from the trunk's CHANGES altogether.

Furthermore, at the end of the 2.2.x CHANGES file, it should point at
a URL or something for 2.0.x CHANGES.  2.0.x CHANGES at the end can
point to a URL for 1.3.x CHANGES...(I wouldn't touch 1.3.x CHANGES,
but it's unlikely we'd do many more releases for that.)

I also doubt that many users are optimistic to read a 650KB+ file of
CHANGES (!!!!!).  I think those doing anthropology studies or are
voyeurs can learn how to use Subversion to follow the history.  Most
folks, at best, would only want to know what's up since the prior
minor release (2.0->2.2->2.4).  Plus, it's a good way to slim down our
checkouts - yay!  -- justin

View raw message