httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <>
Subject Re: CHANGES file for 1.3 and 2.x
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 16:08:02 GMT

On 05/07/2007 05:38 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Seems to me that the more we work on the various 2.x trees
> (2.0.x, 2.2.x and trunk), the harder it becomes to get
> the various correct CHANGES entries in sync... For example,
> the CHANGES for 2.2 and trunk just refer to changes up
> to 2.0.56... What's the best way of syncing these? Should
> we stop having a single CHANGES that tries to merge all
> development together? Why not have something like:
>   o Apache 1.3.x: CHANGES stay as is
>   o Apache 2.0.x: CHANGES just incorporates 2.0.x work
>                   and we can either URL refer to older changes
>                   at the bottom of the file or, when we release,
>                   merge them.
>   o Apache 2.2.x: CHANGES just notes 2.2.x work and we
>                   either refer to 2.0.x CHANGES and 1.3.x CHANGES
>                   or auto-merge when we release.
>   o ....:         Same pattern...
> Comments? Ideas?

I do not think that we need to merge the files. Having pointers to
the other files seems to be sufficient for me.
This still leaves the task of syncing the CHANGES files of the stable
branches with that of the trunk which still leaves enough room for getting
out of sync. So having some sort of auto-merge here would be cool.

View raw message