httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Webmaster" <webmas...@askapache.com>
Subject RE: [Issue] External links @ the wiki, aka pagechange wars
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 23:47:49 GMT
> The trouble in this particular case is that the contributor
> in question writes articles that are misleading or completely
> wrong, and appears to be unaware of the fact that he is being
> misleading and wrong. I'm not sure if he's genuinely trying
> to be helpful, or merely trying to inflate his google ranking
> by creating pages that link back to his site.

If I am misleading or wrong in any way shape or form than it is absolutely
accidental.   Instead of repeatedly telling me how bad my contributions are,
and deleting anything I try to contribute, why not just point out WHERE I am
wrong, WHERE I am misleading, that way we can work together and add valuable
content to the wiki.  Not to mention I can revise the articles on my blog,
which means your feedback will be helping thousands of newbie Apache users.

> Either way, the
> content that he produces does not add substantial value, nor
> do the pages to which he links, and often his content
> actively promotes practices that are discouraged as being
> less-than-best-practice.

I don't care if you are the top Apache Guru on the planet, the fact is that
thousands of people DO think that my articles add substantial value, and if
you really feel my stuff is that bad its your problem, not the content.
Otherwise I would encourage you to make suggestions, point out errors,
highlight alternatives, illustrate best-practices, instead of just talking
about how bad my contributions are.

> Added to this is his refusal to accept correction, so that
> when his articles are modified to reflect best practice and
> reality, he gets offended and changes it back.

Say whatever you want, I'm not going to argue when the evidence is online
for everyone to examine.  Go look at the wiki at my posting history, you
will see how unfairly I have been treated.

> Behind the scenes there are angry and insulting email
> messages being exchanged, which I'm occasionally copied on,
> in which he defends his articles as being the best things
> ever written, and accusing us of singling him out for abuse.
> It's all very juvenile and time consuming.

I believe I've written 3 people a total of 5 emails in the past 4 months.  I
saved everything so I don't have to argue or use sweeping generalizations,
facts speak for themselves.   I just don't understand all the unfriendliness
and pettiness from 2 individuals since day 1 (look at my wiki history).  In
fact, one of the people actually went to my blog and left this kindhearted
public comment.  "This is the most idiotic ‘tip’ I’ve ever read on the web
since 1990....  I am curious as to how you manage to generate technological
content, you must be copying and pasting from different sources." Pleasant
no?

I feel like just because I posted some radical, new, and alternative ideas
and solutions that might not have been discussed elsewhere before, people
get a little competitive and want me to fall in line or something.  I can
already here the response: "your stuff wasn't new or radical, it didn't
solve anything, it was wrong, poorly written, and definately misleading."
Why not respond like you are supposed to and actually SHOW me what is wrong,
misleading, or poorly written?  Isn't that what the wiki is for?  How can we
improve content when it just gets deleted right away?  I don't have time to
try to make a couple people like me.. thats silly, I go to the wiki to
contribute, share ideas, and learn about my favorite software.

I am only interested in being able to help and contribute to the wiki
without immediately being deleted, reverted, and publically dissed both
personally and academically.  I understand how it could have gotten to this
point, drama is always exciting, but the past is the past and I am just
wanting to contribute.  I've been trying for several months now, with month
long breaks in-between, but I feel like if the people with grudges can't let
it go, then I will never be able to contribute.  Isn't there a policy or a
guideline or someone with rank that can point the way to put this behind us?

"Teamwork makes the Dream Work"

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
3:59 PM