httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ProxyErrorOverride and redirects (PR 39245)
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 15:08:55 GMT
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:04:19 +0100
> Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
>

> > I agree that the intended behaviour of the original code was
> > intuitively correct, only >= 400 errors should be overriden,
>
> A redirection page is likely to include a redirected URL.
> In a reverse proxy situation, that may need to be rewritten.
> Use of ProxyErrorOverride could be a valid alternative to
> mod_proxy_html in that situation, couldn't it?
>
> Looks to me like a valid usage case for ProxyErrorOverride 3xx.

We have a couple of people trying to make their actual problem go away
permanently by keeping up with this thread and trying to match
developer comments with patches.

IMO we should go ahead and fix what is broken now, and let
requirements for the new feature (ProxyErrorOverride nxx) present
themselves in the fullness of time.  If somebody is relying on the
current feature-by-defect, then we'll find out soon enough.  If there
is never a compelling requirement, then we're left with the simpler
code (which is already hard enough to keep working ;) ).