httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Children <stu...@terminus.co.uk>
Subject Re: ProxyErrorOverride and redirects (PR 39245)
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:25:29 GMT

Nick Kew wrote:
> A redirection page is likely to include a redirected URL.
> In a reverse proxy situation, that may need to be rewritten.

Conceivably, yes. Though I would maintain that *by default* people with
reverse-proxies would want/expect all their headers retained intact.

> Use of ProxyErrorOverride could be a valid alternative to
> mod_proxy_html in that situation, couldn't it?

Not sure what you mean there - ProxyErrorOverride is a directive for
mod_proxy...

In any case, it does not allow one to rewrite the redirect URL. The
2.2.4 behaviour is that the Location header gets retained as-is, but all
other headers are stripped out - and I can't see why anyone would want that.

> Looks to me like a valid usage case for ProxyErrorOverride 3xx.

I don't see how it would achieve what you stated above. If you do want
to rewrite headers (Location or any others), the code that deals with
altering the response for what are considered error pages is surely not
the place to do it.

--
Stuart Children
http://terminus.co.uk/

Visit Guardian Unlimited - the UK's most popular newspaper website
http://guardian.co.uk http://observer.co.uk
The Newspaper Marketing Agency
Opening Up Newspapers
http://www.nmauk.co.uk

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited
A member of Guardian Media Group PLC
Registered Office
Number 1 Scott Place, Manchester M3 3GG