httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PATCH 19824 -- enhancement to mod_expires
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 11:22:37 GMT

On 04/01/2007 11:24 AM, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Jeffrey Friedl wrote:
>
>> so that images are cached essentially forever, but this means that
>> they can
>> not reasonably be updated in place. However, with this patch, you
>> might use
>>
>>   ExpiresByType image/jpeg "aged 2 days  THEN  10 years  ELSE  1 hour"
>>
>> to allow for some initial tweaking.
>

> I think it would make more sense to use the same behaviour as mod_cache
> instead of having hard-coded expire-times when it comes to entities
> which has a last-modified header, ie newly modified entities gets a low
> expire while stuff not changed for a while gets a high expire.

+1. For reference see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/mod_cache.html#cachelastmodifiedfactor.
I may be off track here since we have no cache here, but it may be a good idea to add a Warning
header
with a Warning 113 in the cases described in RFC 2616 14.46 (see also 13.2.2 and 13.2.4) as
we would
have a heuristic expiration time here.

Regards

RĂ¼diger