httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] use of SVN $id keyword
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:20:35 GMT
Hi Ruediger,

> Hm. I would like to hear some comments by the svn gurus on that. Questions
> that come
> up to my mind are:

> 1. What revision number will be shown in the tag: The revision number of
> the last
>    change of this file or the revision number that is actual at the point
>    of time
>    when I do 'svn up' on the directory (or a parent directory) in which
>    the file
>    is stored.
revision + date of last change of the file AFAICT.

> 2. Does this introduce 'pseudo modifications' of files, where the id tag
> gets updated
>    although I do not do any manual changes to the file?
dont understand this; of course it gets updated once while inserting the id tag for first
time; after that no more.

> 3. At which point of time the "$id tag" gets expanded / updated? Directly
> after the commit?
yes, I think so - after I've commit the 'svn propset svn:keywords "Id" file' then my local
files hold the expanded version.

> 4. What is stored in the repository "$id $" or its expanded version?
$id $; this is some downside since I guess that viewcvs always will show the $id $ only, and
not the expanded version - but this might be a setting in viewcvs? I dont know, but can only
tell what I found with other repos where I use the id.

greets, Guenter,