httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Topher Fischer <javer...@cs.byu.edu>
Subject Re: Content-Encoding: identity
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 23:18:30 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> On 03/05/2007 10:52 PM, Topher Fischer wrote:
>
>> Here's the deal.  I'm behind a proxy/web filter (squid/dansguardian). The proxy is
making requests on behalf of our users, and it uses "Accept-Encoding: identity" in its HTTP
request to an Apache 2.2.4 server.  When the reply comes back from the webserver, it has both
 This is confusing Firefox.  It expects the page to be in the "identity" form, but it's gzip'd,
so when it prints it to the screen, it's all gzip'd nonsense.

> I cannot reproduce this. Do you use any third party modules in your httpd?
> Do you see Content-Encoding: identity really in the reply from the webserver or can it
only be seen in the reply from
> the proxy?
>

> Regards
>
> RĂ¼diger

That field exists in the reply from the webserver, and the reply given
from the proxy to the client.

Just to clarify: Here's what goes out from the proxy:
Accept-Encoding: identity,gzip,deflate

And here's what comes back:

... and the reply is gzip'd.  The server is running mod_fastcgi and
mod_ssl.  Do you have a good way of tweaking your client's HTTP headers
in the request?  I could probably try to test this against a new apache
build tomorrow, but I don't know a good way to control what gets put in
the request header.

--
Topher Fischer
GnuPG Fingerprint: 3597 1B8D C7A5 C5AF 2E19  EFF5 2FC3 BE99 D123 6674