httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <ames_g...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What do you think about Lighttpd?
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 22:03:37 GMT

--- steve <iamstever@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I use it too, and have meddled with it enough at a source level to feel
> > comfortable running it. It has obvious, documented, problems (don't use
> > it with mod_ssl),
>
> I didn't make it clear earlier -- I do use the event mpm.
> Successfully. What *is* the problem with mod_ssl anyway??? I have used
> the two together, and I haven't seen a problem....

I had something to do with the event mpm also, but I've been out of the loop on
it for some time, so the following may not be quite right.

basically mod_ssl's input filters and check_pipeline_flush() have different
views of how to tell when there is no more input data queued.  there used to be
the possibility that when a client uses HTTP pipelining (multiple requests
back-to-back without waiting for a response after each), mod_ssl could have
data stashed in its input filters for requests after the first request, and the
httpd core (check_pipeline_flush() ) wouldn't realize it and make a bad
decision.  that could result in hangs or lost input.  you are unlikely to see
this problem without pipelining enabled in a browser.

it's fixable, just a simple matter of programming...

Greg

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.