httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael B Allen <mba2...@ioplex.com>
Subject Re: i18n support
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:26:28 GMT
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:00:52 -0400
Michael B Allen <mba2000@ioplex.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:36:05 -0500
> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
> > I know of no restrictions on a unix-like system that would interfere
> > with choosing any arbitrary charset.  Your post doesn't actually
> > describe what problem you observed after setting LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-1.
>
> The charset fails over to ANSI_X3.4-1968 (aka ASCII) and setlocale returns NULL.
>
> Strangely this actually works on another system I have.
>
> Anyone know how to install locale files on Debian?

Well after some more digging I managed to generate german locales and
all seems well.

However, from searching the archives I recall some comments that it was
perhaps inappropriate to use anything but the C locale because globally
changing the locale might yield non-determinisitic behavior. Is that
true? Or is it perfectly save for someone to run in de_DE.ISO-8859-1
for example?

Mike