httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: DBD framework, APR, caching
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:10:44 GMT
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:23:18 +0200
Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Helmut Tessarek wrote:
>
> > Caching:
> >
> > I've just changed my caching algorithm to use APR, so it must be
> > fairly easy to either add caching to the DBD framework or to write
> > its own caching backend. Regarding the modularity, an own autnz
> > caching backend would be best. So all other expensive providers
> > could benefit from caching. See http://tinyurl.com/yvwnhs for my

Don't tinyurl references expire after a few days (or weeks or
something)?  Mailinglists, by contrast, are archived.  I understand
you may want to retain the flexibility to invalidate that link
yourself, but a mention of the top of your repository at
www.evermeet.cx/cvs/ surely wouldn't hurt?

> > caching functions. It would be nice to even add memory caching
> > functionality to it. If someone has any ideas, please let me know.
> > I don't need to write all code by myself, so I would be happy to
> > help out with it.

That looks fairly generic now, thanks!

> The LDAP authentication module has support for caching, it may be
> worth investigating whether parts of it can be abstracted out into a
> generic authentication cache.
>
> The LDAP cache already supports things like shared memory, etc - it
> may be useful to use that existing code as a base rather than
> reinventing it from scratch.

IME the LDAP code tends to be rather inward-looking and isn't always
the easiest to re-use (and util_ldap_cache.h lacks the prototyping
and documentation of a public API).  If you can find a round tuit for
making that jump from specific to generic then great, but until then I
think we should welcome alternatives into the ecosystem.  This one has
a simple, clean-ish API and looks pretty easy to work with.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/