httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Guide to writing output filters
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:04:58 GMT
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:55:21 +0000
Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:

> http://people.apache.org/~jorton/output-filters.html
>
> How does this look?  Anything missed out, anything that doesn't make
> sense?  I think this covers most of the major problems in output
> filters which keep coming up.

On the broad picture ...

If we have this in the documentation, people will take it as definitive.
So it had better be clear about its exact scope: namely, direct
manipulation of buckets and brigades.

Example: We know that the stdio-style buffered I/O (ap_fwrite et al)
is what you need for some filters.  People reading our documentation
may not know that.  To avoid the risk of misleading them, the document
should add an explicit note that this is not covered because it falls
outside your scope, not because there's anything wrong with it.

Or, better, an explicit statement of scope at the beginning, making
it clear that there are many aspects of filtering that fall outside
the scope of it.  Protocol handling, to name one more.

> I'd also like to add a simple buffering filter which "does things
> right" and can be used as a reference; all other in-tree filters are
> either too complicated (filters/*, http/* etc) or too awful
> (experimental/*).  Any objections?

I think I have a better idea.  But I think I'd rather hack it up
(round tuits permitting) than discuss it here in the abstract.

Actually if I'm right, your proposed example will still help,
as it'll be a useful contrast.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/