httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: sed filter module
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:45:05 GMT
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:27:44 +0000
Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 03:01:53PM +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:32:13 +0000
> > Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > 1) the filtering logic is broken and will consume RAM
> > > proportional to response size.
> >
> > I must've missed that when I looked.  I thought it used the
> > same logic as mod_line_edit, which is very careful about that.
>
> It looks just as broken to me.  It will read() from every bucket in
> the input brigade without passing anything on,

Yes, the processing unit is the brigade.  A bucket could easily be
just a byte or two, whereas a brigade is more likely to be a sensible
amount of the data (such as the 8K seen when mod_proxy is driving,
and which is the most common usage case).

>	 so you guarantee that
> the entire response is mapped into RAM for a single filter invocation.

Nope.  Just one brigades worth at a time.  And the most likely case
for that to be an entire document is when it's a static file, and
document == brigade == bucket.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/