httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: sed filter module
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:32:13 GMT
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 09:24:25AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> There have been times when having a simple sed filter in Apache
> would be useful... I used to use just ext_filter to do this,
> but this got more and more painful the more I used it. So awhile
> ago I made mod_sed_filter which I find pretty useful. I've just
> built and tested in with 2.2 and trunk...
>
> Anyone mind if I fold it into trunk and maybe have us
> consider making it part of 2.2 (even under experimental)?
>
> No docs yet but the code is:
>
> 	http://people.apache.org/~jim/code/mod_sed_filter.c

It would be good to have a simple filter like this in the tree.  From a
quick review:

1) the filtering logic is broken and will consume RAM proportional to
response size.  The mantra for writing output filters should be: "read
buckets, process buckets, pass buckets, repeat"

2) 200-line functions are hard to read :)

...otherwise looks like nice simple code.  I don't see a *big* issue
with the name implying likeness-of-sed.  mod_{pcre,text}_filter or
something is as good.

Nick, are you actually planning to submit mod_line_edit for inclusion in
the tree?

joe