httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Frederic <jfcl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy patches
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:13:35 GMT
On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 12:21 +0100, Mathias Herberts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> back in october I submitted several patches to mod_proxy to address
> some issues I had. At the time I was asked to resubmit my patched
> against trunk instead of branch 2.2. I did not find the time then to
> redo the work but at last I've been able to dedicate some time to this
> task.
>
> Included in this message are therefore three patches.
>

> * stickysessionpathid.patch
>
> This patch adds a balancer option 'stickysessionpathid' which allows
> to set the name to look for in the request path. This is needed for
> example when dealing with servlet containers as backend as the servlet
> spec defines the name of the session cookie to be 'JSESSIONID' but the
> name of the path component to be ';jsessionid'. Without this patch
> Apache can only detect one of the two occurences.
>
> The value set with 'stickysessionpathid' is only looked for in the
> path, not in the cookie. If the token is not found in the path, the
> value of 'stickysession' is looked for (if it was defined).

Would it make sense to search for both upper and lower case in
get_path_param()?

> * forceclose.patch
>
> This patch adds a worker option 'forceclose' which can be set to 'On'
> or 'Off' and which specifies if the backend connection should be
> closed upon request completion.
>
> Being able to force the closing of a backend connection (AJP or HTTP,
> SSL connections are already closed after request completion) is
> important as Apache has a multi-process architecture which could lead
> to connection exhaustion to a backend if all connections to it are
> already held by processes currently serving another backend.

Well the good thing is that we reuse the backend connections. Anyway
could be goof for testing +1.

> * balancer-manager-status.patch
>
> This patch modifies the balancer-manager page so the status can be
> set/unset to Disabled/Stopped/Hot-StandBy/In-Error.
>
> I submit this patch without being really convinced the setting of
> parameters through the balancer-manager page is really useful when
> Apache is operating in multi processes mode, the parameters
> modification being only visible locally in the process having served
> the modification request.

worker->s is in scoreboard so it will be visible to all child processes.
But it is not protected by a lock. I also not sure it a good idea to
PROXY_WORKER_IN_ERROR or !PROXY_WORKER_IN_ERROR  as logic of mod_proxy
handles this already.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic