httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Redesigning <Limit > from the ground up.
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:25:50 GMT

> > > <Location /limited/ methods="GET POST HEAD">

I like that a lot.  It makes it clear that methods is an option (and
hence doesn't generally need to be there), and skirts the whole
ordering mess you get by adding a <Method> container.

> <Directory /dir/>  -->  <Section filepath = /dir/>
> <Location /loc/>   -->  <Section urlpath = /loc/>
> <Files pattern>    -->  <Section relpath = pattern>
> <FilesMatch regex> -->  <Section relpath ~ regex>
> <Limit GET POST>   -->  <Section methods = "GET POST">
> ... etc ...
>
> Generalising to <Section somepath=... methods=...>,
> and to support things like negation.
>
> Possibly also drop the confusingly markup-like syntax:
>
> BEGIN filepath=/dir/
> END

I hate all that.

Although <Location>/<Directory>/etc are certainly confusing, I don't
see how the above is that much clearer.  People are still going to
need to read the docs to understand what urlpath and filepath mean.
And how does the ordering work?  And can you arbitrarily combine
filepath/relpath/methods/etc in the same section?  Just a big mess, as
far as I can tell.

And I don't see any point in making massive changes to the config-file
format unless there are large concrete gains to be had.  It is not
only a question of converting old config files to the new format.
More difficult is retraining everyone who knows and loves (or hates)
the old format.

Incremental improvements are great!

Joshua.