httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: 3.0 - Proposed Goals
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:21:30 GMT

On Feb 14, 2007, at 3:28 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> It's always been small groups ;-)  But we are loathe to drop the
> 'barrier
> to entry' of demonstrating that the new coder is 'cluefull'.  This
> is a
> server platform, rife with the security issues that go along with
> that.

We need to remind ourselves of the long period of
time between 1.3 and 2.0, and the relatively short
one between 2.0 and 2.2. The reason? Easy-to-manage
changes. 2.0 was a victim of "just one more thing"itis,
which made it prolonged as well as more complex than
it needed to be. Most of the things we want to
fix are things that were done "quickly" to get
the basically implementation in there.

IMO, an Async baseline, event-based state model
is, no doubt, the direction we need to be heading.
Unless we do that right, the other stuff really won't
be that worthwhile in the server we eventually come up
with.