httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Maxime Petazzoni <maxime.petazz...@bulix.org>
Subject Re: Patch for mod_mbox
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:52:55 GMT
Hi,

Le 1 févr. 07 à 13:36, Nahuel ANGELINETTI a écrit :

> We are trying to use mod_mbox with large range of mailing lists, and
> got some problems, firstly is a problem about spam, if you activate
> the
> Antispam option it obfuscate the email adresses on message view but
> not
> in raw message, so we done a patch to hide the raw message link
> ( attached file ).

I remember a previous discussion on this point, but I don't recall
the ending. The question is "Do we want a *true* (as in real) raw
message, or just an extended display with headers and without MIME
decoding ?"

This is a decision we have to make before starting something because
the second solution may involve user interface improvements (such as
'hide/show message headers', this kind of things).

> Then another problem is with the encoding, we have lots of
> =?iso-8859-1? and others on the mbox files and are not converted by
> mod_mbox.

At the time I worked on mod_mbox (summer 2005 mostly), the apr-iconv
library was not fully functional (or at least not in a easy way with
multibyte characters we encounter in UTF-x encoding). I believe the
situation has changed now and that we could (finally) integrate
charset conversion in mod_mbox.

The fact that mod_mbox outputs UTF-8 comes from the ASF mailing list
systems (for which mod_mbox was initially designed), and we know that
mod_mbox does not really like other charsets. This is definitively a
point that must be improved in mod_mbox, along with Javascript and
user experience.

> And then mod-mbox-util parse only mbox with list-post, and if we have
> some difusion list ( without list-post ) we cannot parse it, what
> about
> it ?

For the moment, mod-mbox-util relies on the List-Post header to
detect the mailing-list name and stuff, but we could make that more
"intelligent" I guess.

I don't really have the time this week-end to take a look at these
points (I'm leaving to the US on Sunday) but I'll definitively have
some time for this, starting next Monday.

Thanks for your interest in mod_mbox,
- Maxime

PS: concerning the attached patch, it is good, but we first have to
decide what to do, regarding the question I asked in this email.
Other mod_mbox users/developers, what are your thoughts ?
--
Maxime Petazzoni (http://www.bulix.org)
-- gone crazy, back soon. leave message.