httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: 3.0 - Proposed Requirements
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:33:52 GMT
On 2/14/07, Paul Querna <chip@force-elite.com> wrote:
> This proposed list of requirements for a 3.0 platform. this list enables
> a 'base' level of performance and design decisions to be made. If others
> can make designs work with 'lessor' requirements, all the better, but
> I'm not worried about it.
>
> Proposed Requirements:
> - C99 Compiler.

Are there any C99 compilers?  I was under the impression that GCC was
close, but nobody else really seemed to be pushing for it (i.e.
Microsoft doesn't seem to care).

> - High Performance Event System Calls (KQueue, Event Ports, EPoll, I/O
> Completion Ports).
> - Async Socket and Disk IO available. (POSIX AIO?)

What kind of async I/O are you thinking of?  Does anyone actually use
posix aio?  I'm not all that thrilled with the idea of being the
canary in that coal mine ;-)

> - Good Kernel Threading.
>
> Based on this list, the following operating systems would be supported
> TODAY:
> - FreeBSD >= 6.x
> - Solaris >= 10
> - Linux >= 2.6
> - Windows >= XP? (Maybe even 2003 or Vista -- I don't know this one well
> enough)
>
> Operating systems that would likely have problems with these
> requirements today:
> - AIX?
> - NetWare?
> - HP-UX?
> - Many other older Unixy systems.
>
> The key part to me for all of these is this is Today.  If you view any
> 3.0 project on a 1-3 year timeline, if we start pushing things like high
> performance event system calls, there is time for these other operating
> systems to pick them up.
>
> Today, we have all of the major platforms with a good level of async IO,
> events and threading support, so it makes sense to me to set these are
> the base requirements.

I do think that providing a higher level of base requirements makes
sense, but I also expect that the devotees of systems that can't/don't
support those sort of things should be allowed to make things work on
their systems, so long as they don't require invasive changes in the
rest of the system.

-garrett