httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: 3.0 - Proposed Goals
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:45:17 GMT
On 2/13/07, Paul Querna <chip@force-elite.com> wrote:
> - Rewrite how Brigades, Buckets and filters work.  Possibly replace them
> with other models. I haven't been able to personally consolidate my
> thoughts on how to 'fix' filters, but I am sure we can plenty of long
> threads about it :-)

The collective design experiences behind serf tell me it's a lot
easier (and performant) following's serf's bucket model.  Remember
that serf's design came out of everyone's (me, Greg, Cliff, Roy, etc.)
grief with filters and brigades and such - so I think it represents at
least a good step in the right direction.

I think httpd's bucket brigade model became overly complex and missed
some goals.  I really like how Serf standardized on one model for
'input' and 'output' - which is a sore point with httpd's filters.
Serf's buckets themselves are also about as close to Roy's original
'onions' model as you'll find anywhere.

For those that haven't seen serf, it lives here now:
http://code.google.com/p/serf/

So, it'd be nice if Serf would be a starting point - plus, if we
switched to that, we'd have most of the core design done for 3.x.  --
justin