httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Issue with Flood's responsetemplate / resonsename?
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 05:34:44 GMT
On 2/5/07, John Cook <jcook@meatclown.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently having issues with flood that I can't currently replicate
> with any of my other load / stress testing tools.
> I'm running a version of flood checked out of the subversion repository
> from mid January (1/16/07) on an Unbutu 6.10
> server.
>
> I am currently trying to automate a load test for a page that has a form
> field on it.
> Its a pretty simple test:
>
> 1.  Get the page
> 2.  Edit the page
> 3.  Preview the changes
> 4.  Save the changes
> 5.  Get the updated page
> Rinse.  Lather.  Repeat.
>
> Here is the corresponding snippet of my XML...
> <urllist>
>     <baseurl>http://172.16.0.50:8080/</baseurl>
>     <url>/Flood</url>
>     <url>/Flood&amp;noregex</url>
>     <url method="GET"
>
> responsetemplate="cols=&quot;100&quot;&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/textarea&gt;"
>          responsename="form">/Flood?editi&amp;regex</url>

Note the 'editi' here - not sure if that's intentional on your part
though.  It could explain why the GET is failing.  What status code is
being returned by the GETs?  Is it a 200 as you expect?

>     <url method="POST"
>          Content-Type="application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
> payloadtemplate="markup=test+from+flood${form}&amp;action=preview">/Flood?edit&amp;preview</url>
>     <url method="POST"
>          Content-Type="application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
>
> payloadtemplate="markup=test+from+flood${form}&amp;action=save">/Flood?edit&amp;save</url>
>     <url>/Flood</url>
> </urllist>

The rest looks right at first glance - though I'm wondering if you're
hitting quoting issues.

> The issue I am seeing can clearly be seen in the report:
> Connect Write   Read    Close   Hits    URL
> 0.0190  0.0190  20.0329 20.0337 50
> http://172.16.0.50:8080/Flood?edit&regex
> 0.0174  0.0174  0.0183  0.0183  50
> http://172.16.0.50:8080/Flood?edit&noregex
> 0.0128  0.0128  0.0139  0.0139  50
> http://172.16.0.50:8080/Flood?edit&save
> 0.0095  0.0096  0.0105  0.0105  100     http://172.16.0.50:8080/Flood
> 0.0003  0.0003  0.0019  0.0019  50
> http://172.16.0.50:8080/Flood?edit&preview
>
> The read time for GETs with a regex is completely out of line with all
> of my other queries.  On larger test runs,
> the read times can will return values in one of 3 bands:  sub 1 second,
> 10 seconds, or in the 20 sec range (like this test).
>
> Is there something very wrong with my config?  Or is the
> responsetemplate / responsename functionality broken?
> I have mimicked this test with wget, some command line tools, and siege,
> but have yet to validate flood's results.
>
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
> Let me know if you need more information.

AFAIK, it should work.  examples/round-robin-dynamic.xml should show
the right usage.  (If you have an old checkout, I just removed the
requestparamcount as those aren't needed.)

If it isn't the typo above, what does a network trace with Ethereal show?

HTH.  -- justin