httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 3.0 - Proposed Goals
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:06:01 GMT

On Feb 19, 2007, at 1:44 AM, Nick Kew wrote:

> The breakage between 1.x and 2.0 was far too much.  If we
> do it again, the world will rightly conclude that Apache
> is not a solution fit for the long term.

+1.  While it's fun and rewarding to hack on advanced stuff in its
own right, the project as a whole must keep an eye on the user
community, their needs and their wants.  Many of us wouldn't be here
if the server wasn't popular to begin with: we need the user
community as a soundboard and a source of new contributors.

How many Apache 'D' versions do we want to maintain?  Popularity of
1.3 is still too high for us to completely ignore, and there is much
2.0 still out there.

We need to actively engage with third party module authors,
*especially* the PHP community, to make sure that the most popular
third party modules will be ready for 3.0 right out of the gate.  I
don't know whether we should preserve 2.0 API support... don't know
if we *could*, but if we can replace it with a kinder, simpler API we
can promote uptake before we make the release.

S.