httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 3.0 - Introduction
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:24:36 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2007, at 11:32 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
>
>> I believe the httpd project is ready for a push towards the next major
>> version.
>
> But do we really want to start by calling it 3.0?  How about if we
> work off of a few code names first?  Say, for example, "amsterdam".
> The reason is because there will be some overlap between ideas of
> how to do certain things, with a variety of overlapping breakage
> that can get pretty annoying if you "just want to get one part working
> first".

+1 to sandboxes (plural as needed).

> The reason I was about to start the sandbox thing is because I've
> been thinking about moving away from the MPM design.  To be precise,
> I mean that we should get closer to the kernels on the more modern
> platforms and find a way to stay in kernel-land until a valid
> request is received (with load restrictions tested and ipfw applied
> automatically), transform the request into a waka message, and then
> dispatch that request to a process running under a userid that matches
> a prefix on the URI. That's pretty far out, though, and I wouldn't
> want it to stand in the way of any shorter term goals.

Just a simple question, isn't it reasonable to do that sort of
encapsulation within the mpm's context?

MPM's don't have any rules about how clever they have to be - they
just need to offer the right hooks (lots of new hooks to accomplish
async stateless behavior) and all implemented them all, even if they
are only stubs on classic (simplistic) MPMs.

Bill