httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 3.0 - Proposed Goals
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:35:17 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2007, at 3:28 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>

>> It's always been small groups ;-)  But we are loathe to drop the 'barrier
>> to entry' of demonstrating that the new coder is 'cluefull'.  This is a
>> server platform, rife with the security issues that go along with that.
>>

> We need to remind ourselves of the long period of
> time between 1.3 and 2.0, and the relatively short
> one between 2.0 and 2.2. The reason? Easy-to-manage
> changes. 2.0 was a victim of "just one more thing"itis,
> which made it prolonged as well as more complex than
> it needed to be. Most of the things we want to
> fix are things that were done "quickly" to get
> the basically implementation in there.
>
> IMO, an Async baseline, event-based state model
> is, no doubt, the direction we need to be heading.
> Unless we do that right, the other stuff really won't
> be that worthwhile in the server we eventually come up
> with.

To turn this around, there's no reason not to start working towards
a flattened brigade passing schema such as serf's in a 3.0 prior to
an async 4.0.  Or begin to refactor the conf schema in 2.4.

Pick something.

My comment overall to Paul's post is that there's nothing stopping
this now; he did a fairly good job of identifying things that would
be nice to have, and show us the code, or thank you for the kick in
the pants as the case might be.

If there are obstacles, please start a thread on those.

Bill