httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject 3.0 - Introduction
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 07:32:21 GMT
I believe the httpd project is ready for a push towards the next major
version.

I believe everyone involved has learned many things from 2.x.  I wasn't
here for all of the early 2.x development, so it is very easy to say I
am naive in the scope of something like pushing for 3.0.

Today, I view the following as largely unsolvable problems with the 2.x
architecture:

- Async IO will not work in the core without committing more evil hacks,
that will make the code harder to understand and follow.

- Async IO will not work correctly with filters today.

- The module API exposes too many internals of how client IO is done to
make small incremental changes.

- The HTTP protocol is still married to the core, and there has been
very little progress in separating it out.

- Performance for many metrics will never be fully on par to async or
hybrid async/threaded based servers like lighttpd.

- The configuration subsystem does not enable runtime changes, or the
ability to easily programmatically extend it.

Could we try to address these issues and more with more constrained
changes?  Very likely.

Do I think it would be as fun for everyone involved? Nope.

I don't believe that a focus on 3.0 will replace 2.x overnight, just
like 2.x has taken many years to replace 1.3.x on new installs.  I
personally don't view this as a major problem; With time, and if the
project is truly better, users will migrate.  I do think we need a
better strategy for handling dynamic content generators, and things that
 are not thread safe.

I personally believe the push for 3.0 needs to be focused on how to
create a positive scratch your own itch for most of the developer. So,
in that spirit, what bothers everyone else about 2.x?

-Paul