httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@netmask.it>
Subject Re: protocol module ?
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 13:36:51 GMT
Gregory Nicholls wrote:

>   I've been looking at mod-ftpd and mod-pop3 with a view to writing a
> protocol module. What I haven't been able to work out from reading
> these, is how a particular protocol module 'registers' its interest in
> specific connections.
> eg. Assume there's 2 protocols being used and we have Listen 8080 http
> and Listen 1234 foo. I use ap_hook_process_connection to insert mod_foo
> into the chain. So far so good but I only want to process connections
> coming on port 1234. Neither mod-ftpd or mod-pop3 seem to have any code
> that examines the connection with a view to declining those they can't
> process. So I'm guessing that there's some mechanism for assigning
> protocols/ports to a specific module. I just don't know how to do it.
>        Can some kind soul point out what I've missed please ?
>           Thanks,
>              Gregory Nicholls

I don't know if it will help you, but Ryan Bloom dedicated a chapter
for that in his book ("Using Apache to Serve Different Protocols", pp.
383-401).

In addition, mod_ftpd and mod_pop3 are not the only non-httpd protocol
modules, and there are some else, such as mod_smtpd. I wish there was
a mod_named (or mod_dns or mod_bind, I don't care). One day, maybe I'll
write one...

--
Eli Marmor
Fax.:   +972-9-766-1314          P.O.B. 7004