httpd-dev mailing list archives

From John Cook <jc...@meatclown.com>
Subject Issue with Flood's responsetemplate / resonsename?
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2007 23:41:33 GMT
Hello,

I'm currently having issues with flood that I can't currently replicate
with any of my other load / stress testing tools.
I'm running a version of flood checked out of the subversion repository
from mid January (1/16/07) on an Unbutu 6.10
server.

I am currently trying to automate a load test for a page that has a form
field on it.
Its a pretty simple test:

1.  Get the page
2.  Edit the page
3.  Preview the changes
4.  Save the changes
5.  Get the updated page
Rinse.  Lather.  Repeat.

Here is the corresponding snippet of my XML...
<urllist>
    <baseurl>http://172.16.0.50:8080/</baseurl>
    <url>/Flood</url>
    <url>/Flood&amp;noregex</url>
    <url method="GET"

responsetemplate="cols=&quot;100&quot;&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/textarea&gt;"
         responsename="form">/Flood?editi&amp;regex</url>
    <url method="POST"
         Content-Type="application/x-www-form-urlencoded"

payloadtemplate="markup=test+from+flood${form}&amp;action=preview">/Flood?edit&amp;preview</url>
    <url method="POST"
         Content-Type="application/x-www-form-urlencoded"

payloadtemplate="markup=test+from+flood${form}&amp;action=save">/Flood?edit&amp;save</url>
    <url>/Flood</url>
</urllist>

The issue I am seeing can clearly be seen in the report:
Connect Write   Read    Close   Hits    URL
0.0190  0.0190  20.0329 20.0337 50
http://172.16.0.50:8080/Flood?edit&regex
0.0174  0.0174  0.0183  0.0183  50
http://172.16.0.50:8080/Flood?edit&noregex
0.0128  0.0128  0.0139  0.0139  50
http://172.16.0.50:8080/Flood?edit&save
0.0095  0.0096  0.0105  0.0105  100     http://172.16.0.50:8080/Flood
0.0003  0.0003  0.0019  0.0019  50
http://172.16.0.50:8080/Flood?edit&preview

The read time for GETs with a regex is completely out of line with all
of my other queries.  On larger test runs,
the read times can will return values in one of 3 bands:  sub 1 second,
10 seconds, or in the 20 sec range (like this test).

Is there something very wrong with my config?  Or is the
responsetemplate / responsename functionality broken?
I have mimicked this test with wget, some command line tools, and siege,
but have yet to validate flood's results.

Thanks in advance,
John Cook