httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: 3.0 - Proposed Goals
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:44:05 GMT
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:33:27 -0800
Paul Querna <chip@force-elite.com> wrote:

> So, I've been kicking around some ideas about where I personally would
> like trunk to go for a couple months now.

You've missed the most important consideration here.
Namely, don't break everything that's gone before.

Specifically, a big -1 on forcing substantial rewrites of
existing applications.  Or in other words, the API must
continue to work (with at most trivial breakages).

Of course, deprecating things is fine.  And where parts of
the existing API do not fit well, they might be moved outwards
from the core to a compatibility layer - provided that's
going to be maintainable.

The breakage between 1.x and 2.0 was far too much.  If we
do it again, the world will rightly conclude that Apache
is not a solution fit for the long term.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/